Causative Factors……( Nidan / Hetu)
Finding cause (hetu) is as important as, rather more than, finding treatment. Because, if the causative factors are known, their avoidance can help to avoid the disease and to control the growth of the disease. Thus, knowledge of cause is having prophylactic (preventive) as well as curative perspective.
Our study illustrates that the following factors are the main causative factors in Cancer
(A) Dietary factors (Aahara Hetu)
|INGREDIENTS( SPECIFIC AAHAR DRAVYA)|
|Non – Vegetarian food|
|CONTRADICTORY FOOD….( VIRUDDHA AAHARA)|
|1.Pungent (Katu), Sour (Amla) and Hot (Ushna) dominant diet vitiate Pitta and Rakta leading to Loss of Tissues (Dhatupaka).|
|2.Sweet (Madhura) and Heavy (Guru) dominant diet causes Kapha vitiation leading to new growth in Cancer.|
|3.Contradictory food (Viruddha Aahara) vitiates tissues (Dhatus), which leads to Spreading Cellulitis (Visarpa), Boils (Visphota) conditions, commonly seen in some types of Cancer.|
(B) Behavioural factors (Vihara Hetu)
|A) WITHHOLDING NATURAL URGES||(VEGADHARANA)|
|BREATHLESSNESS AFTER EXERTION||(SHRAMA – SHWASA)|
|ARE 13 NATURAL URGES (VEGA) DESCRIBED IN AYURVEDIC TEXT.|
|A habit of withholding and forceful eliminating these urges for a long period may give rise to structural and functional disorders of the concerned organs.|
|B) DAY SLEEP………( DEEVASWAPA)|
|C) REMAINING AWAKE LATE NIGHT……..( RATRIJAGARANA)|
|Frequent habit of daysleep (Deevaswapa) vitiates: Kapha Dosha & Pitta Dosha.|
|Frequent habit of Remaining awake late nights (Ratrijagarana) vitiates: Vata Dosha.|
|Thus, both the habits together cause Vitiation of three Doshas (Tridosha Dushti) and Vitiation of tissues (Dhatu Dushti). These also hamper the functions Digestion power (Jatharagni) and Metabolism (Dhatwagni) leading to abnormal growth of Tissues (Dhatus) in Cancer.|
(C) Occupational Causes (Vyavasaya)
|SOME PATIENTS GAVE HISTORY OF LONG TERM EXPOSURE TO :|
|1.Chemicals: like caustic acid, brass, copper, chlorine, nitric acid, sulphuric acid, pesticides|
|3.Particles of cotton|
|EXPOSURE TO :|
|1.Chemicals, Foreign body (Shalya)|
|2.Radioopaque Rays inside the body|
|3.Cotton Particles for long period|
(D) Mental (Stress Manasik)
|SOME PATIENTS GAVE HISTORY OF LONG TERM EXPOSURE TO :|
|7.Mental stress (Manasik Tan)|
|8.Diminished digestive activity (Jatharagnimandya)|
|9.Diminished metabolic activity (Dhatvagnimandya)|
|MENTAL STRESS –|
|1.Vitiates : Pitta & Vata Dosha|
|2.Reduces : The function of Dhatvagni|
|3.Leads to Dhatugata avastha Dhatupaka avastha In Cancer|
(E) Addiction (Vyasana)
|DOOSHI VISHA SEVANA (ADDICTION) IS CONSUMPTION OF LOW DOSAGE OF LOW POWER POISON (VISHA) FREQUENTLY AND REGULARLY.|
|IN OUR STUDY WE FOUND MANY CANCER PATIENTS CONSUMING :|
|1.Beetle leaves………………………..( Pan)|
|2.Beetle nut……………………………( Supari)|
|4.Ash Tobacco………………………. ( Masheri)|
|5.Cigarette / Tobacco Smoke……( Dhumrapana)|
|7.Alcoholic drinks…………………….( Madya)|
(F) Past Illness (Purva – Vyadhi)
|10 GUNAS OF VISHA ARE EXACTLY OPPOSITE TO THAT OF OJA ????|
|1.In case of any disease, Ayurveda describes the role of Impairment in systems (‘Kha-vaigunya’) , which is some sort of lacunae in the Tissues (Dushya). It provides seat for vitiated doshas and helps in formation of disease. Impairment in systems (Kha-vaigunya) is a Site|
|(‘Adhisthana’) of any disease.|
|2.Past illness (Poorva-Vyadhi) is one of the causes of Impairment in systems (Kha-vaigunya)|
|3.In our project we have tried to look for any relation between Impairment in systems (Kha-vaigunya) and existing cancer site. e.g. Hyperacidity or gastric ulcers if left untreated may lead to Stomach or oesophagial cancers.|
|Many patient of Uterine, Ovarian & Cervical cancers had history of Dysmenorrhoea.|
|4.Thus, these past histories can make the respective organs or Srotasas ‘prone’ for any other disorder like cancer.|
(G) Heredity (Anuvanshikata)
- Considering heredity, Ayurved describes body formation with Doshas, Dhatus likewise Originated from mother (Matruja), Originated from father (Pitruja) etc. 6 Factors (bhava).
- The formation of body parts is primarily attributed to both the parents. The ‘Body’ (Sharira) is formed with Ovum (Stribeej) and Sperm (Punbeej) Combination (Sanyoga) during which Soul which is subtle in nature (Sukshma Aatma) presides to help in its formation.
|Maternal factors (Matruja Bhava)||Paternal factors (Pitruj Bhava)|
|1) Skin…..(Twak)||2) Blood….(Lohita)||1) Hair………………(Kesha)|
|3) Muscles..(Mansa)||4) Fat.. …….(Meda)||2) Beard……………..(Shmashru)|
|5) Umbilicus..(Nabhi)||6) Heart….(Hrudaya)||3) Nails……………..(Nakha)|
|7) Pancreas..(Kloma)||8) Liver…(Yakrut)||4) Tooth……………(Danta)|
|9) Spleen….(Pliha)||10) Kidney…..(Vrukka)||5) Veins…………….(Sira)|
|11) Bladder….(Basti)||12) Rectum.. (Purishadhana)||6) Tendons ………..(Snayu)|
|13) Stomach…..(Aamashaya)||14) Intestine…(Pakwashaya)||7) Arteries………….(Dhamani)|
|15) Upper part of rectum .. (Uttaraguda)||16) Large intestine (Sthulantra)||8) Semen…………..(Shukra)|
|17) Small intestine (Kshudrantra)||18) Anus…….(Adharaguda)|
|19) Omentum (Vapavahana)|
Heredity is the chain of blood relation and the genetic flow in them.
Heredity can be described in 3 parts –
1. Matrukul i.e. Maternal relatives e.g. Mother’s parents, uncles, aunts etc.
2. Pitrukul i.e. Paternal relatives e.g. Father’s parents, uncles, aunts etc.
3. Swakul i.e. prevalent generation e.g. brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, own children etc.
According to Ayurved Hereditary diseases (Sahaja) is one of the types of disease.
In the diseases like Skin disease (Kushta), Piles (Arsha), Diabetes and urinary disorders (Prameha), which are chronic illness, the hereditary roots can be observed. Thus the Ovum (matrubeeja) and Sperm (pitrubeeja) should be Healthy (sampanna) i.e. both the beeja should not be affected, then only the progeny will be healthy.
Our study about Hereditary factors in Cancer reveals that
1. The patients having matruja organ affected are more over having maternal (matruja) hereditary and many of their relatives are having maternal (matruja) organ affected.
2. The paternal (Pitrukul) hereditary is also high, but the organs of the patients or relatives affected are primly matruja.
3. Ist generation is highly affected as compared to the II and III generation both in cases of Matrukula and Pitrukula.
4. In some cases, Same generation (Swakula) is also affected.
5. Carcinoma of Breast, Ovary, Oesophagus, Cervix, Lungs, Colon, Leukemia, Tongue and Prostate show high incidence of hereditary factors.
6. Hereditary factor in multiple relatives may increase risk of Cancer.
7. Chances of inheriting the same site are more in CA Stomach, Breast and Liver.
Regimen to be followed for Healthy Progeny (Suprajanana)
For Mother –
For both the parents –
UNIQUE SPECIALTY OF AYURVED
Panchakarma should be performed.
(H) External Trauma (Aaghata)
External trauma (Aaghata) vitiates vata dosha and causes Raktadhatu and Vitiation of Rakta & Mansa dhatu (Mansadhatudushti). It may lead to Malignant Wounds / Ulcers (Dushta Vrana) or Malignant Abscess (Dushta Vidradhi).
External Trauma (Aaghata)
- Vitiation of Vata Dosha
- Vitiation of Raktadhatu & Mansadhatu
- Malignant Wounds/Ulcers (Dushta Vrana) / Malignant Abscess (Dushta Vidradhi)
- This cause is commonly observed in Sarcoma and CA Breast.