Aim of Panchakarma treatment is to cleanse & detoxify body, increase immunity & thus to restore health. In many Cancer patients, it helps to reduce sufferings, minimize side-effects of Chemotherapy & Radiotherapy. It also helps to prevent recurrence of Cancer.
Treatment (Chikitsa) of Cancer
- Mitigating 3 dosha (Tridosh – Shamak) according to dominance of doshas
- Dhatvagni – Deepan :- Improving Metabolic Activities (dhatvagni) specially Rasa – Rakta & Mansa dhatvagni.
- Controlling Dhatugata Avastha :- (The nature of doshas of embedding in deeper & deeper tissues & vitiating them)
- Prevention of Dhatupaka Avastha :- By Pittashamak & Rakta prasadak treatment.
- Rejuvenation to affected organ (Rasayana) :- Depending upon strength of the patient and vitiated doshas.
Panchakarma (Shodhana Chikitsa) eliminates the vitiated doshas from the body.
Pre procedures (Purvakarma)
- Internal & External oletion (Snehana) :- Snehana should be done for 3 to 7 days with plain or medicated Clarified butter (ghee) or Oil (Taila), till the symptoms of appropriate Oral administration of oil / ghee (Snehapana) are seen.
- Sudation (Swedana) :- Sarvanga sweda (Sudation to complete body) should be done either with plain water vapours or with vapours of herbal decoction, immediately after snehana.
Main procedures (Pradhana Karma)
- Inducing vomiting (Vamana) :
Appropriate Condition :- Kapha dominating symptoms in Cancer.
Appropriate Cancer site :- CA of sites over umbilicus. e.g. CA Lung, CA Breast.
- Inducing Purgation (Virechana) :
Appropriate Condition :- Pitta dominating symptoms in Cancer.
Appropriate Cancer site :- CA of site at umbilicus. e.g. CA Liver CA Pancreas.
- Medicated enema (Basti) :
Appropriate Condition :- Vata dominating symptoms in Cancer.
Appropriate Cancer site :- CA of sites below umbilicus. e.g. CA Rectum.
- Nasal Medication to eliminate the Doshas (Nasya) :
Appropriate Condition :- Kapha & Vata dominating symptoms in Cancer.
Appropriate Cancer site :- CA of sites above neck region. e.g. CA Brain.
- Blood letting (Raktamokshana) :
Appropriate Condition :- Symptoms of vitiated Pitta & Rakta in Cancer.
Appropriate Cancer site :- CA of Blood dominating sites. e.g. CA Liver.
Post – procedures (Pashchat Karma)
Immediately after Panchakarma, Digestion Power (Jatharagni) becomes weak. To improve it slowly, the patient should follow special diet regime i.e. Sansarjana Karma. It lasts for 4 to 10 days.
It contains –
- Thin rice gruel (Peya)
- Thick rice gruel (Vilepi)
- Plain bean soup (Akruta Yusha)
- Medicated bean soup (Kruta Yusha)
- Plain non-veg soup (Akruta Mansarasa)
- Medicated non-veg soup (Kruta Mansarasa)
*Note :- The general rule is that the vitiated Doshas should be eliminated by the nearer path in the body. Thus, a specific type of Panchakarma has to be done in specific type of Cancer under the guidance of experienced physician.